If you currently have a self-storage unit, or you are thinking about leasing one, you may be wondering how to keep everything organized so that you can gain quick access to the things you need. Since everybody’s storage needs are different, there is no wrong or right way to organize your unit; however there are some tips that can help you decide the best way to organize your extra space.
From using shelving to protecting your valuables, these storage tips can help you organize and make the most of the extra space your storage unit gives you.
Tips to Help You Organize Your Storage Unit
- Clean out your storage unit before you start placing your items inside. Sweep out any dirt and consider laying a floor covering. The floor covering can be as simple as a sheet of plastic, or cardboard boxes.
- Use pallets to keep boxes and furniture off the ground, this will help prevent damage from dust and water.
- If you have large pieces, place them in the back of your storage unit. When it comes to entering your unit to find things, it is less likely you will need access to those bigger pieces quickly.
- Think about what you are storing. If there are items that you will need access to often, you may want to keep these close to the front of the storage unit, or in a space that allows you easy access.
- If you are storing furniture, consider dismantling what you can. Tape pieces together keeping them with the main piece of furnishing, or packed separately in a box that is clearly labeled. Use cloth to wrap your furnishings, plastic may allow moisture in and cause your furniture to mold or rot.
- If your storage needs include a myriad of boxes, you may want to install some cheap plastic shelving within your unit to help keep the boxes organized.
- Use labels on boxes so that you can quickly find what you need. You may even want to create a map so you know exactly where to head when you need a particular item. This may seem time consuming at the beginning, but having a plan can save you time in the long run.
- Use some type of covering over furnishings and boxes. This can protect your belongings from any leaks that may occur within your self-storage unit.
- If you will be stacking things on top of one another, be sure to keep heavier items at the bottom as this will create stability.
- When you are packing your storage unit create small aisles or paths that will allow easy access. If your space is limited, consider storing in a u-shaped formation.
Having a plan before you start stacking items into your self-storage unit will make it easier to find what you need. If you are looking for self-storage options in the Loomis, CA, area, contact us today at Tri-City Self Storage. Our friendly staff can assist you with all of your storage needs.