Whether you are an antique collector, a comic lover, or you have valuable pieces that you love to collect; it is likely there will be a time when you will need more space. Self storage is a great way to get the extra space you need.
Many self storage companies offer secure premises where you can store your valuable pieces. Some companies even offer climate-controlled units which can be excellent for books, wood furniture, and art collections.
Despite secure and cool conditions, you’ll still want to take every precaution to prolong the life of your belongings. Let’s look at what you will need to protect two different types of valuables, comic books and antique furniture.
What You Need to Protect Your Valuables in Self Storage
Comic Collections – All of those comics you have collected are likely worth quite a bit to you. It is a good idea to store them correctly to reduce yellowing, mold or mildew build-up, and damage from rips and tears. Here are some things you may want to consider purchasing.
- Polypropylene Bags are a great way to protect your comics and keep them in good condition.
- Mylar Bags are more expensive, but will last longer to help protect your comic books.
- Acid-Free backing boards will help you reinforce your comics while they are in storage bags.
- Keep your bagged comic books in waterproof containers or in boxes that are stored off the ground.
Antique Furniture – Antique furniture can be quite valuable and protecting it is important. Here are a few things you may want to purchase to protect your antiques and other furnishings.
- Furniture Polish and Wax – For wood pieces it is a good idea to polish them before placing them in storage, you may also want to add a layer of furniture wax for extra protection.
- Thick Blankets or Felt – It is never a good idea to wrap furniture in plastic as moisture may build up underneath. The best things you can use to protect your furniture are thick blankets and felt. Make sure whatever you use is soft so that it doesn’t scratch your furnishings.
You may have other valuable collections that need to be protected while in self storage. Speaking to one of our storage experts can help you get an idea of what you will need. Tri-City Self Storage can help you with all your self storage needs. We offer a secure storage facility with a range of options in addition to our knowledgeable on-site staff. Contact us today at 916-652-4642 for more information.